Recognizing that protection of the global environment is the world's most important issue, WingArc1st contributes to the development of a sustainable economy and strives to achieve harmony with the global environment in all corporate activities through the following:
- Eco-friendly software and services
- We strive to provide software and services that are friendly to the environment.
- Eco-friendly product development and planning
- We take ecological issues into account when developing and planning our products to reduce environmental impact.
- Pollution prevention
- We minimize the use of hazardous chemicals to help prevent pollution of the global environment.
- Green procurement
- We consider eco-friendliness in the procurement stage and choose products and supplies less harmful to the environment.
- Work efficiency
- We promote environmental conservation by maximizing business efficiency, saving resources, conserving energy, recycling, etc.
- We comply with environmental laws, regulations and other requirements.
- Social contributions
- We strive to contribute to local communities wherever we operate.
- Information disclosure
- We openly disclose information on our environmental conservation activities.
- Employee awareness
- We make efforts to raise the environmental awareness of all our employees.
- Environmental management system
- We established an environmental management system and environmental objectives that we periodically review and continually strive to improve.
We release this environmental policy to all company employees and officers, as well as the general public.
Climate Change Response
In order to contribute to achieving the goals of the Paris Agreement on climate change, an international framework, we have set our own goals to address climate change and will actively take initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through our business.
In addition to reducing direct greenhouse gas emissions from our own activities, we will achieve this by providing a wide range of services that contribute to reducing environmental impact through our proprietary technologies, thereby increasing the effectiveness of reducing greenhouse gas emissions in society as a whole.
Indicators and Targets
We have selected greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions as a measure of climate change and disclose our performance for Scope 1-3 of the GHG Protocol. In addition, we have set the following goals to reduce risks and create new opportunities for climate change:
- Scope 1 & 2Reduce GHG emissions to 0 by 2030
- For Scope 1 & 2, reduce GHG emissions from in-house operations to zero (net) by converting 100% of electricity consumption to renewable energy.
- Scope 3Reduce GHG emissions to 0 by 2030
- Reduce indirect GHG emissions from Scope 3 business activities to zero (net) by contributing to the reduction of environmental impact through the provision of our products and services.
|GHG emissions results||Unit||2019||2020||2021|
|Scope 1: Direct GHG emissions||t-co2||-||4||6|
|Scope 2: Direct GHG emissions||t-co2||-||1,275||1,232|
|Scope 3: Direct GHG emissions||t-co2||-||4,373||3,734|
|Scope 3 breakdown:|
|Category 1: Products and services purchased||t-co2||-||3,948||3,071|
|Category 2: Capital finance||t-co2||-||110||364|
|Category 5: Waste from business operations||t-co2||-||4||0|
|Category 6: Business trips||t-co2||-||133||130|
|Category 7: Employer commuting||t-co2||-||179||169|
We have established the Sustainability Promotion Committee as an organization to evaluate and monitor our policies and initiatives to achieve our climate change-related goals. The CEO and other members of management are involved in the development of climate change strategies and report their efforts to the Board of Directors.
The risks and opportunities we face in relation to climate change were assessed by the relevant departments and the Sustainability Promotion Committee for the timing of their manifestation and their impact on our business, and then we identified risks and opportunities of particular importance.
We recognize the following as important transition and physical risks and opportunities related to climate change:
|Type of risks/opportunities||Time of
|Transition risks||Policy & regulations
|Physical risks||Acute risks||
|Products & services||
Regarding our risks and opportunities in climate change, the office of the sustainability committee conducts an annual company-wide risk identification with the relevant departments.
The policy for responding to the selected important risks is reviewed on an annual basis by the office of the sustainability committee and relevant departments and is identified after discussion by the Sustainability Committee, which includes the management team.
The results of the above risk assessment are then reported by the office of the sustainability committee to the risk management department, which is responsible for company-wide risks, and to the risk and compliance committee.
- The office of the sustainability committee identifies risks and opportunities related to climate change with relevant departments
- The office of the sustainability committee selects important risks with the relevant departments, and reviews the policies
- The Sustainability Committee discusses and identifies risks and response policies
- The office of sustainability committee reports the results to the risk management department, which oversees company-wide risks, and to the risk and compliance committee.
Environmental Management System (EMS)
We have introduced an Environmental Management System (EMS) as part of our environmental efforts.
The EMS assesses the environmental impact of an organization's activities and contributes to reducing environmental impact and protecting the environment.
In order to continuously work on the EMS, we established the EMS executive office to conduct and manage the EMS by implementing the PDCA cycle.
Acquisition of ISO 14001 Certification
We obtained ISO14001 certification, an international standard for EMS, on May 8, 2020, and are operating the system.
We have identified elements of our business activities that have a significant impact on the environment and will take the following actions from March 2022 to February 2023:
|Expanding Beneficial Environmental Impact|
|1. Continue to provide value that supports customers' and partners' promotion of digital transformation (DX).||Promote WingArc1st products, services, and solutions|
|2. Purchase of green products for office supplies||The percentage of green products purchased for office supplies is to be maintained (or increased)|
|Reducing Harmful Environmental Impact|
|3. Reduction of electricity consumption||Annual electricity consumption at the head office (including the server room) is to be 100% less than it was the previous year.|
|4. Reduction of copy paper used||Number of sheets used per person is to be 100% less than it was the previous year.|
Introduction of Green Power
The electricity used at the head office is renewable energy. (*)
- (*) By purchasing "FIT Non-Fossil Certificate with Tracking" and "Renewable Energy Designated Non-FIT Non-Fossil Certificate", the electricity used is regarded as real renewable energy.
Since renewable energy is also an important resource, we will continue to aim to reduce electricity consumption, and will gradually switch to renewable energy sources in regions other than the head office, starting with those that can handle them, to contribute to reducing CO2 emissions.
Examples of Activities to Reduce Environmental Impact
In addition to the initiatives above, we are also implementing the following actions to reduce environmental impact:
- Lessen shipments of products through downloads
- ・Switch from physical shipments of all products to downloads
- Reduction of energy consumption through online and hybridization of business activities
- ・Conduct all recruitment activities online
- ・Conduct all product training online
- ・Conduct seminars and events online
- ・Carry out consultations online
- ・Hold surveys implemented by auditors online
- Reduce CO2 emissions through work style reforms
- ・Shift to remote work (Work at the office: only 2-3%)
- ・Limit overtime hours
- Reduce energy by using WingArc1st products
- ・Online delivery of invoices
Online delivery of invoices in telework environment using invoiceAgent (Japanese web site)
- ・Aim for paperless operations
Use case of compliance with the Electronic Book Storage Act (Japanese web site)
- ・Online delivery of invoices